Not all joineries are alike. Some large joineries specialise in certain products for the commercial market while some small “backyard” joineries would better be described as cabinet or furniture making businesses. In between, there are a few long established businesses that owe their success to being able to adapt to any client’s needs. There’s a place for every type of timber joinery, but who should you turn to for your joinery products? Here are 5 tips to help you decide:
- Tip One: Visit the joinery personally before you make your decision. Whether large or small, it should be clean and tidy and you should be free to inspect examples of their work. In fact, if they are proud of their work, they will go out of their way to show you their portfolio.
- Tip Two: Ask about their construction techniques, or if possible, watch them in action. If staple guns are the most used tools in the shop, it’s not quality joinery. True joinery is a test of a cabinet maker’s skill and requires a knowledge of techniques that ensure a timber joint is made to last.
- Tip Three: If a joinery uses sophisticated modern equipment to produce perfect dovetail joins in drawers and through mortise and tenon joints for door frames, you get the best of old world craftsmanship and new world technology.
- Tip Four: If you’re looking for something you can’t buy in a retail outlet, don’t go to a large joinery that is set up only to do repetitive work. If work is slow, they may agree to take on your job for you, but they are not likely to have the necessary skills for custom joinery.
- Tip Five: If a free measure and quote is all you’re offered, get another quote from a joinery that is willing to sit down with you and help you with your total design concept. A skilled joiner has a passion for their work and wants every project, large or small, to be perfect. They will take a genuine interest in you and your project that goes well beyond just trying to make a sale.
Allkind Joinery Brisbane is not the only maker of quality joinery products in Australia, but they are one of the few. As we pointed out in A Tradition of Excellence, Allkind Joinery’s roots can be traced back to the 1920s, when a higher value was placed on workmanship than too often is true today. Without losing that commitment to quality, Allkind Joinery has been innovative enough to keep up with the times and their timber craftsmen have set aside some of their hand tools and learned modern joinery techniques using computer aided design (CAD) and computer aided machinery (CAM) to achieve master craftsman results more efficiently. The result is superior joinery products at affordable prices.
Please call us toll free on 1800 757 949 with any questions you may have on Timber Architectural Joinery, our friendly staff are always happy to help with any advice you need.