History of Allkind Joinery and Brisbane Architecture
Allkind Joinery has a long and distinguished history, but in a very real way, this Brisbane joinery is also part of Brisbane’s greater history. Home to some of Australia’s finest architecture, including Customs House and St. Stephen’s Cathedral, Brisbane is proud of its heritage and strives to maintain the impeccable quality standards that are the hallmark of these great buildings.
Customs House Brisbane – History of Allkind Joinery and Brisbane Architecture
Customs houses existed in all major Australian ports in the 19th century. Brisbane had a modest customs house in the early 1800s, but as the port became more important and Brisbane grew, it became apparent that the city needed a larger and more prestigious facility. In 1884, city officials decided it was time for a change and they commissioned renowned architect Charles McLay to design a new building.
Work on Customs House at its new location began in 1886. McLay chose the Victorian Free Classical style of architecture. Three storeys high on the river side and two storeys tall on the Queen Street style, it was a large and imposing structure when it was built. Although it has since been dwarfed in scale by highrises, it has never been dwarfed in style and remains a prominent Brisbane landmark.
The 20th century changed the face of Brisbane and Customs House was no longer needed to fulfill its original purpose. Recognising its heritage value, the Commonwealth government negotiated a lease with the University of Queensland and Customs House was re-opened in 1994. Allkind Joinery Brisbane is proud to have played a part in making Customs House the beautiful heritage building it is today.
St Stephen’s Cathedral
St Stephen’s Cathedral Brisbane – History of Allkind Joinery and Brisbane Architecture
On 26 December 1863, on the feast of St. Stephen, Bishop Quinn laid the foundation stone of St. Stephen’s Cathedral. Unfortunately, the economic depression of the mid-1860s stopped construction, but work resumed in 1870. On Sunday, 17 May 1874, the cathedral, although still incomplete, was blessed and dedicated.
The cathedral that was blessed in 1874 covered only about a third of the area it was originally designed to cover, but work continued over the years. Improvements were made in 1884 and in 1920, the foundation stone of the new transept was laid by Archbishop James Duhig. In the 1980s, under the leadership of Archbishop Francis Rush, work began on the complete extension, restoration and renovation of St. Stephen’s Cathedral. Work was finally completed in 1989 and dedication ceremonies were held on 4 December of that year. Although Allkind Joinery does not pretend to take full credit for the magnificent results, they are justifiably proud to have been part of the team that helped make St. Stephen’s Cathedral the stunning Brisbane landmark it is today.
When restoration work is called for on heritage buildings like Customs House and St. Stephen’s Cathedral, those in charge of renovations and restorations won’t settle for less than the best builders, joineries and other trades to undertake the work. That’s why Allkind Joinery Brisbane was selected to play a part in these important projects. Does that mean that Brisbane’s prestige joinery only focuses on projects on a grand scale? No project is too large or small for the team at Allkind Joinery and the emphasis is always the same: quality and service come first. Contact Allkind Joinery today and find out how affordable quality can be.
Please call us toll free on 1800 757 949 with any questions you may have on timber joinery products, our friendly staff are always happy to help with any advice you need.
The post History of Allkind Joinery and Brisbane Architecture appeared first on Allkind Joinery & Glass Pty Ltd written by Richard Travers.